Tuesday, December 15, 2009

An Instant Vacation

Personally, I need a vacation almost everyday; especially if I was busy doing stuff all day. To me vacation means finding time to chill out through physical activity. Prior to joining a gym, I used to try working out at home. It didn't work out because of the following:

1) Limited equipment I can buy & put at home.
2) No 'beautiful people' around to (further) motivate my workout.
3) No 'workout' ambiance.
4) Tempted to do other 'entertaining but unhealhty' stuff like watch a movie sitting on a bag of chips.

So a few months ago I decided to make a commitment and join a serious gym. Now things are different. The gym offers a swimming pool with a view, palm trees included. I just need to visit the pool for 15 minutes to vacate my hectic mind, heck the place is so comfortable that I actually took naps on the pool bench many times while waiting for the sunset to put the icing on my daily cake.

When dusk is done and over, I head down to mingle among 'beautiful people' and workout on weights and resistance equipment, which are excellent in quality i must say. Now when I say 'beautiful people' I mean two things; firstly there are many people who are physically beautiful! This group of people know it and they flaunt it, if being beautiful is what you want to be obviously this is the right place to be. The other group of people are in no way physically beautiful. However, I still refer to them as 'beautiful' because they see the potential beauty in themselves, enough to make them work towards revealing it. After all, physical 'beauty' is just a matter of rearranging muscle and fat around the body, putting it at the right spots. That's why body-building is also termed as body-sculpting in some instances, because there is nothing more needed to be built, just needs rearranging!

The gym is a highly charged place, full of positive energy. I believe in the power of being positive and also how auras in people affect each other. In fact I don't think I can find a single negative person in the gym, basically everyone is kicking their butt to improve themselves. I remember always seeing this obese lady, and also a one-legged guy at the gym; they are frequently there, constantly working out. I gotta say they bring a lot of motivation for other people around them. So fat people, don't be shy to go to the gym, nobody's gonna laugh at you when you're a motivator.

The most intensely positive environment in the gym has gotta be the various classes. In here, you can actually get to speak to new people and have a decent conversation because trust and respect has been established while being 'classmates' for a while. Sadly, it is much more difficult to engage a Malaysian stranger in trustful conversation outside of the classes. The most decent conversation I had in the gym goes like this:

(Me occupying a specific resistance equipment, stranger walks up with a beaming smile)
Stranger: "Are you done?" "How many sets left?"
Me: "Oh, just one."
Stranger: "Oh, haha ok."
(Me pushing a final set through)
Me: "I'm done, cheers."
Stranger: *SMILES*

Oh yes, I was talking about gym classes. There are so many types here that I can't recall most of them. I remember there were yoga classes (hot and normal), combat classes, weights, capoiera, ballroom dancing, belly dancing, and an assortment more. Joining a particular class consistently will build rapport with your fellow classmates, and this makes it a great avenue to meet new (positive) people.

So yes I feel that every visit to the gym is like going to a ClubMed. Different environment, different people around doing positive and  relaxing stuff. A vacation indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment